SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the past weekend’s French Top 14 matches, involving South African players.
– Clermont lashed Pau 65-13 at the Stade Marcel-Michelin. Lock Flip van der Merwe started for the winners and fullback Scott Spedding played off the bench, with both crossing the line for a try.
– Bottom-feeders Bayonne stunned Bordeaux 24-20 at home. Lock Jandré Marais was in Bordeaux's starting lineup, and was substituted in the 71st minute.
– Centre Paul Jordaan and scrumhalf Ricky Januarie formed part of the La Rochelle side that eased to a comfortable 36-17 bonus-point win against an ill-discipline Brive outfit, who conceded a yellow and a red card. No 8 Paul Hauman and locks Johan Snyman and Jan Uys were on duty for Brive. The win takes La Rochelle eight points clear at the top of the log with five round-robin matches remaining.
– Prop Gurthrö Steenkamp and his Toulouse teammates sealed a hard-fought 42-26 victory over Lyon. They outscored the visitors by five tries to four. Flank Deon Fourie was in Lyon's run-on XV and scored one of his team's tries. The win wasn't enough to lift Toulouse into the top six that will compete in the playoffs.
– Grenoble, with scrumhalf Charl McLeod and lock Hendrik Roodt in their ranks, scored a last-minute converted try to snatch a thrilling 23-23 draw against Toulon. Boks Bryan Habana, lock Juandré Kruger and prop Marcel van der Merwe all turned out for Toulon, whose indifferent form continues to plague their season.
Note: The matches between Montpellier and Racing 92 and Castres and Stade Français were postponed.
Compiled by Mariette Adams
Photo: Paul Faith/Getty Images