Faf has the heart of a Lion
- 22 Aug 2016
Springbok scrumhalf Faf de Klerk is on the cover of the new SA Rugby magazine, on sale this week.
What have we learned about De Klerk in 2016? His running game has been the envy of many Super Rugby teams, including those based in New Zealand, for the past three years. His superior speed between the rucks, the accuracy of his passing, as well as his appreciation for attacking space are now routinely listed as game-shaping threats on the whiteboards of various opposition coaches.
What we have learned about De Klerk in 2016 is that he has the mental as well as the tactical-kicking skills to control the big games. What’s more, in his capacity as a Lion and as a Springbok, he has shown he possesses the temperament and the heart of a fighter.
In this issue of SA Rugby magazine, chief rugby writer Jon Cardinelli looks at what De Klerk has achieved for the Lions and Boks this season, and gets Bok backline coach Mzwandile Stick's views on the scrumhalf.
Also in the new issue:
– Having finally received his Springbok cap in June, Jaco Kriel wants to get more game time during the Rugby Championship
– In an extract from the Springbok Opus, historian Paul Dobson explains how the South African national rugby team’s jersey became green
– Beauden Barrett has proved he can start at flyhalf for the All Blacks
– Sanzaar CEO Andy Marinos on the problems with the 18-team Super Rugby format and how they may be addressed in future
– The Lions reached their first Super Rugby final just four years after being relegated from the competition
– Bulls discard Rohan Janse van Rensburg has made a name for himself at the Lions this season
– Western Province will draw on Jano Vermaak’s experience during the Currie Cup
– Western Province claimed a second successive unofficial U18 Craven Week title
– South Africa’s open-club championship has been rebranded the Gold Cup, welcomed teams from Namibia and Zimbabwe, and moved to the end of the season
SA RUGBY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION RATE
– Available monthly to Foschini Group account holders for R26.99 (incl VAT) per issue
– Non-Foschini Group account holders (12 issues): R359 (incl VAT), Neighbouring states: R620; International: R820
SA RUGBY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION ENQUIRIES
– Foschini Group account holders: Phone 0860-117-529, email email@example.com, or SMS ‘SARUGBY’ and your account number to 44001
– Non-Foschini Group account holders: Phone (021) 416-0141, fax 086-567-1350, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Time for Bok depth at 15
Both Johan Goosen and Jesse Kriel can make their mark at fullback in this season’s Rugby Championship, writes CRAIG LEWIS.
Combrinck’s flying high
Ruan Combrinck forced his way into the Springbok starting XV with a game-changing cameo at Ellis Park, writes CRAIG LEWIS.
Battling Boks will miss Duane
The Springboks have lost the one player they could not afford to lose on the eve of the Rugby Championship, writes JON CARDINELLI.