Super Rugby is around the corner, and there are some notable records to note ahead of the tournament, writes JEREMY PROOME.
– The record for the most competition points accumulated by a team (66) is shared by the Reds (2011), the Stormers (2012) and the Chiefs (2013). The Reds and Chiefs went on to win the title, but the Stormers lost to the Sharks in the 2012 semi-final.
– Crusaders hold the record for the most points and tries scored in a match. The Crusaders scored 14 tries and 96 points against the Waratahs in Christchurch in the 2002 tournament.
– Joe Roff and Rico Gear share the record for most individual tries in a season, 15, for the Brumbies in 1997 and the Crusaders in 2005 respectively. The 2013 season saw Super Rugby newcomer Frank Halai score 10 tries for the Blues – an impressive feat, but still a few away from the record.
– Aaron Cruden and Morné Steyn share the most individual points for a Super Rugby season, each scoring 263 in 2012 and 2010 respectively.
– Elton Jantjies holds the record for most individual penalties in a match, with nine against the Cheetahs at Ellis Park in 2012.
What records do you think will be broken in 2014? Let us know in the comments below.
20 best Boks since 1995
To mark its 20th anniversary, SA Rugby magazine selected the 20 best Springboks since 1995. Here's who made the list ...
‘SA conference wide open’
What former Springbok coach NICK MALLETT had to say on SuperSport about Saturday's matches involving South African teams.
Boks to field potent mix
Heyneke Meyer has meticulously gone about ensuring that in World Cup year he has a powerful squad dynamic from which to choose, writes JON CARDINELLI in Sport Monthly.