Etzebeth embracing leadership role
- 18 Sep 2017
Eben Etzebeth is on the cover of SA Rugby magazine's new issue, on sale this week.
The Springbok captaincy has brought the best out of Etzebeth.
The 25-year-old lock had gained a reputation of being a hothead, but since assuming a leadership role, he has kept his cool while retaining the physical aspect of his game that makes him the Boks’ enforcer. When he speaks, his players listen, and he leads by example on the field.
Off it, Etzebeth has turned his frown upside down and appears to enjoy the media responsibilities that come with the job.
In the new issue of SA Rugby magazine, Bok coach Allister Coetzee and his predecessor, Heyneke Meyer, explain why Etzebeth is such an asset as a player and a leader.
Also in the new issue:
– Franco Mostert has translated his Super Rugby form to the Test stage to become the Springboks’ first-choice No 5
– Dan and Jean-Luc du Preez appear destined for lengthy careers in the green and gold
– Wayne Smith is walking away from the All Blacks after a two-decade association
– Kwagga Smith talks about the incident that saw him red-carded in the Super Rugby final
– Bulls legend Victor Matfield hopes to kickstart his coaching career with the Lions
– S’busiso Nkosi hopes to emulate Sharks ‘elders’ Odwa Ndungane and Lwazi Mvovo
– Players and management members reflect on the Springboks' 2007 World Cup win, 10 years on
– In the seventh instalment of a series on black rugby legends, we look back at the career of former Saru scrumhalf Ronnie Korkee
– Heyneke Meyer is hoping to launch a World Schools Festival in 2018
– With SA Rugby having opted not to send a team to the recent World Cup, we look at the sorry state of women’s rugby in this country
– New Zealand clinched their fifth Women’s World Cup title with a thrilling win against England
– Marcel van der Merwe’s first season at Toulon was a chaotic one for the club
PLUS: Adrian Jacobs' Perfect XV + What happened to De Wet Barry? + John Plumtree column + Thando Manana column + Future Star
SA RUGBY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION RATE
– Available monthly to Foschini Group account holders for R26.99 (incl VAT) per issue
– Non-Foschini Group account holders (12 issues): R359 (incl VAT), Neighbouring states: R620; International: R820
SA RUGBY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION ENQUIRIES
– Foschini Group account holders: Phone 0860-117-529, email [email protected], or SMS ‘SARUGBY’ and your account number to 44001
– Non-Foschini Group account holders: Phone (021) 416-0141, fax 086-567-1350, or email: [email protected]
Kolbe making sizeable impact
Cheslin Kolbe has embraced his attacking game in France, writes GAVIN MORTIMER.
Five takeaways from past weekend
What we learned from the Springboks' Test against Ireland in Dublin on Saturday, according to CRAIG LEWIS.
Saffas end 2017 on low note
The Blitzboks – like the Springboks – delivered a substandard performance in the final tournament of the year, writes JON CARDINELLI.