O’Connor eyes Super Rugby return
- 30 Dec 2013
Wallaby star James O’Connor is considering a Super Rugby return despite his departure to Europe.
O’Connor, whose off-field behaviour led to the cancellation of his Australia contract and forced him to look abroad in his rugby career, has said that he would return to the Southern Hemisphere tournament to make himself eligible for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
‘I obviously have some decisions to make in terms of the World Cup,’ O'Connor told the local Berkshire news service getreading.
‘I have been told I have to have been playing in Super rugby for a season [to be selected for Australia] at the World Cup. That complicates things a bit. But I'm loving my time here and the players have been great to me.’
O’Connor is currently playing at London Irish, but reports of the 23-year-old heading to star-studded French Top 14 side Toulon emerged last week, but it’s said that Toulon coach Bernard Laporte’s announcement was premature.
‘James hasn't signed for anyone,’ said London Irish director of rugby Brian Smith.
‘He's got an offer from us, but I don't know what French offers he's got.’
O’Connor’s last game with the Wallabies was in the Rugby Championship, against Argentina, in September, shortly before he was barred from boarding a flight in Perth because he was drunk.
Photo: Rob Munro/Getty Images
No defence for shameful Bok showing
The Springbok coaching team, as well as the players must be held accountable for the worst Test performance in South African rugby history, writes JON CARDINELLI.
Treat the cause, not the symptom
The Springboks’ blowout against the All Blacks on Saturday is simply a microcosm of a far greater problem facing South African rugby, writes CRAIG LEWIS.
Five takeaways from past weekend
What we learned from round four of the Rugby Championship, according to CRAIG LEWIS.