magazine-issue
RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP-header
generic hexagon

Saru got IRB to admit mistake


  • 18 Sep 2013
Saru CEO Jurie Roux Saru CEO Jurie Roux

Jurie Roux says Saru took strong action following the Eden Park Test, in which Springbok hooker Bismarck du Plessis received two controversial yellow cards.

In a wide-ranging interview with Sport24, the CEO said: 'Yes, we’re very emotional too ... we were as angry as so many others on Saturday when it happened. But from a Saru point of view we have to operate within structures. As with any other business, there’s no point us getting all emotional in the media and trying to castrate somebody!

'You have to follow procedures: on Saturday evening we were already writing to the IRB and Sanzar. We were in e-mail correspondence throughout Sunday and got them to acknowledge there was a mistake [when Du Plessis was yellow-carded in the 17th minute for a legal tackle on Dan Carter] and it shouldn’t have happened.

'The result of that is Bissie got off scot-free on both counts, which was a good result for us. The recourse for us is through that method – speaking to Sanzar, speaking to IRB, the referees’ selectors. It is up to them to ensure the referee in question either gets rehabilitated or comes off the present panel. We can’t alter what happened on the field.

'Of course we’re emotional: at times in those first 10, 15 minutes I myself thought "here we go, this is our day", and then a wrong decision by the referee did spoil our day. The spectators were deprived of a proper contest, but we’ve certainly taken the measures we could ... and we’ve seen a response.'

Photo: Shaun Roy/Gallo Images

0 Comments
latest-articles
Dejected Springboks after the World Cup semi-final loss

SA rugby must get mojo back

South African rugby is desperately in need of a good-news story, with the general perception of the game’s current state of affairs having dwindled to an undeniably low ebb, writes CRAIG LEWIS.

Dillyn Leyds scores a try for the Stormers last year

Sanzar continues to confuse

The timing of Sanzar's proposal to change the bonus-point system as well as the proposal itself makes no rugby sense, writes JON CARDINELLI.

The New Zealand Sevens celebrate their Sydney victory

NZ Sevens got out of jail

Whether or not the New Zealand Sevens side ‘inadvertently’ fielded an eighth player against Australia is completely immaterial, writes CRAIG LEWIS

You may also like
0 Comments
Get our daily email update. Subscribe to the SA Rugby magazine newsletter: