magazine-issue
live-feed
generic hexagon

Sharks keep Du Toit in Durban


  • 19 Jul 2013

Pieter-Steph du Toit has signed a two-year contract extension with the Sharks.

The young lock, who is currently sidelined with a sternum injury, reportedly received offers from the Blue Bulls and Western Province, but opted to extend his stay with the Durban-based union. This is good news for the Sharks, who are thin in the second-row department.

Sharks CEO John Smit said: 'Pieter-Steph has shown great promise and he has had a positive impact on the team since joining the senior set-up. We are thrilled that he has reaffirmed his commitment to the Sharks.'

Du Toit, 20, who received a Springbok call-up in June after showing good form in Super Rugby, said he was living his dream.

'I am extremely privileged to be identified by the Sharks as a player who can play a role in the province,' he said. 'I will learn from the many experienced players in our team and I hope that I can make a contribution. I will always do my best for the Sharks.'

It is also believed that Springbok front-rowers Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis will stay with the Sharks next season, despite being offered lucrative deals by foreign clubs. Negotiations are in progress..

Photo: Steve Haag/Gallo Images

0 Comments
latest-articles
Bismarck du Plessis goes into contact at Kings Park

‘SA ball skills are poor’

What former Springbok coach NICK MALLETT had to say on SuperSport about Saturday's matches at Kings Park and Newlands.

S'bura Sithole was Man of the Match at Ellis Park

Transform through craft not colour

Transformation is in the quality of the player and not always in his colour, writes MARK KEOHANE in Business Day.

JP Pietersen breaks away in Dunedin last year

Sharks to lash Highlanders

MARK KEOHANE, in his weekly predictions, is picking the Sharks to entrench their position at the top of the combined Super Rugby log.

0 Comments
Get our daily email update. Subscribe to the SA Rugby magazine newsletter: