For the match against Ireland at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Saturday.
– The total number of caps in the Springbok starting lineup is 439 – 101 in the backline and 338 among the forwards. On the bench, there are a further 88 caps.
– The average caps per player in the backline are 14, the forwards 42, and the players on the bench 11. The average age of the starting XV is 26.
– Beast Mtawarira will extend his record as the most-capped Springbok prop to 96. He is the third most experienced Bok forward, behind Victor Matfield and John Smit.
– Mtawarira will equal the Bok record for most Test caps (seven) against Ireland. The current record holder is CJ van der Linde.
– Pieter-Steph du Toit and Coenie Oosthuizen will play in their 30th Test.
– Elton Jantjies needs two points to reach 200 points in Tests for South Africa.
– Should Jantjies succeed with four conversions, he will equal Percy Montgomery’s career record of 10 conversions (in six Tests) against Ireland. This will be Jantjies’ fourth Test against Ireland.
– The Aviva Stadium in Dublin was built on the same ground that was previously occupied by Lansdowne Road, the oldest rugby stadium in the world. The first Test played at Lansdowne Road took place on 11 March 1878. Ireland played a total of 244 Tests at Lansdowne Road.
– The first Test played at the new Aviva Stadium was between Ireland and South Africa on 6 November 2010, which South Africa won 23-21.
– Saturday’s match will be the Springboks‘ 14th Test against Ireland at this venue. South Africa’s record on this ground is: P 13; W 8; L 4; D 1; PF: 221; PA: 170; TF: 33; TA: 15; Average score: 17-13. Win%: 62%.
– South Africa’s record in Ireland is: P 15; W 9; L 5; D 1; PF: 246; PA: 197; TF: 38; TA: 18; Average score: 16-13. Win%: 60%.
– South Africa’s overall record against Ireland: P: 25; W: 18; L: 6; D: 1; PF: 503; PA: 342; TF: 69; TA: 31; Average score: 20-14. Win%: 72%.
Photo: Nic Bothma/BackpagePix