Blues head coach Leon MacDonald has allayed fears that All Blacks flyhalf Beauden Barrett suffered another serious concussion.
Barrett was forced off the field in the first half against the Highlanders in Dunedin on Saturday after colliding with centre Fetuli Paea and is currently in recovery protocols.
The 30-year-old only recently returned to action following a concussion suffered against Ireland in November, which he admitted caused him to have fears over his career.
“There is a mandatory [10-day] stand-down period when you get a bang to the head, which he’s going to sit out. The early signs are positive – other than a mangled-up face, he’s come out pretty well,” MacDonald told reporters.
“He’s got a sore neck and he’s not too happy about that, but he’s looking pretty good at the moment, which is promising.”
MacDonald said that the Blues had been careful over how they have managed Barrett through this period.
“We were extra cautious in the way we brought Beauden back [earlier this season]. We didn’t push him in early, we gave him extra time to make sure he was really comfortable, that it was completely gone and he felt good,” MacDonald said.
“Even this injury now, it’s not major. He doesn’t have any concussion symptoms as such. We want to look after our players’ welfare. We want them playing a long career and not just next week.”
Photo: Getty Images