Blitzboks trio Seabelo Senatla, Cecil Afrika and Kyle Brown are on the cover of the new SA Rugby magazine, on sale now.
Friday, 9 October 2009 was a momentous day for rugby union. During the 121st International Olympic Committee Session in Copenhagen, Denmark, the IOC voted to include rugby sevens in the 2016 and 2020 Olympic Games. Since then, £20-million (R431-million) has been invested in the sport by national Olympic committees, according to The Future of Rugby report, which was commissioned by HSBC.
The report predicts that rugby’s inclusion in the Olympics and its global expansion could see it rival football as a truly international sport, with rugby being played in 150 countries by 2026.
In the new issue of SA Rugby magazine, we chat to Blitzboks coach Neil Powell about the team's Olympic preparations and the lessons they learned from the recent World Rugby Sevens Series. Senatla, who finished that series as the top try-scorer, explains why he's always been an athlete at heart and regards the Olympics as the pinnacle, while former Blitzboks captain Paul Delport looks at the role of each position in a sevens team.
Also in the new issue:
– The Springboks began a new era with an unconvincing home series win against Ireland
– Ruan Combrinck forced his way into the Springbok starting XV with a game-changing cameo at Ellis Park
– Waisake Naholo has a point to prove with the All Blacks
– Wallabies flyhalf Bernard Foley never forgets where he came from
– Pablo Matera has the potential to become a legendary loose forward for the Pumas
– The Junior Springboks suffered three defeats during their worst World Rugby U20 Championship campaign
– South Africa’s biggest schools rugby derby splits Paarl down the middle
– We pick our Saffas in Europe XV Team of the Season
– Johan Goosen’s performances for Racing 92 are worth shouting about
SA RUGBY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION RATE
– Available monthly to Foschini Group account holders for R26.99 (incl VAT) per issue
– Non-Foschini Group account holders (12 issues): R359 (incl VAT), Neighbouring states: R620; International: R820
SA RUGBY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION ENQUIRIES
– Foschini Group account holders: Phone 0860-117-529, email [email protected], or SMS ‘SARUGBY’ and your account number to 44001
– Non-Foschini Group account holders: Phone (021) 416-0141, fax 086-567-1350, or email: [email protected]