Eben Etzebeth insists in court documents that he did not have a firearm in his possession and was not involved in assaulting anyone during the alleged Langebaan incident.
On Monday, it was reported that Etzebeth had turned to the High Court in a bid to prevent an alleged racist assault case from going to the Equality Court.
Etzebeth and a group of friends and family had been accused of being involved in an incident of assault and racial abuse during a night out in Langebaan in the Western Cape on the eve of the Boks’ World Cup squad announcement, which has led to a widespread backlash.
In court papers filed on Monday as revealed by Netwerk24, and in which Etzebeth accuses the South African Human Rights commission of ‘unlawful conduct’, he sought to provide his account of events.
The Bok lock admits there was a confrontation of sorts early on in the night when a ‘white man rudely demanded’ that he remove his cap at the Langebaan Yacht Club as per the club’s dress code.
He adds that no racial remarks were made and the incident was resolved peacefully.
Around midnight, says Etzebeth, his group and he then moved to Die Water Gat pub in Langebaan, and wanted to leave the establishment at around 2am.
Etzebeth states that they initially waited to avoid what looked like an incident outside the pub, but after leaving five minutes later, he says his girlfriend and him were nearly run over by a red Honda.
The Springbok says he knocked on the car’s window to alert him to their presence, and alleges that they were then cursed at before the driver moved away.
However, a group of men then allegedly approached Etzebeth’s contingent, and he states that his intention was then to try to get away before things ‘got out of hand’.
While driving away, though, Etzebeth further states that someone threw a bottle at his car, and when he got out to inspect if there was any damage, a group of people allegedly continued to curse at them.
Etzebeth says that they walked over to confront the group, but that chaos then ensued with people running everywhere, while adding that he feared for the safety of his brother.
The Springbok second rower finishes by saying that further rocks were thrown at them when they returned to their car, but that no one was injured and that they then drove home immediately.
Etzebeth insists that he ‘never assaulted anyone’ and ‘did not have a firearm or any weapon with him’.
Photo: Steve Haag Sports via Hollywoodbets