Israel Folau and Rugby Australia failed to reach a settlement on Monday after a mediation session that lasted more than 12 hours.
Emerging from the Federal Circuit Court in Melbourne shortly before 10pm (Australian time), Folau refused to comment. His lawyer, George Haros, said further talks over the $14-million claim by the former Wallabies star would be held in the next few days.
‘Where we stand is the mediation remains on foot,’ he said. ‘We’re still hopeful of reaching an amicable agreement with Rugby Australia.’
Earlier in the day, Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle said they were determined to reach a settlement, but reiterated that the governing body had been vindicated in terminating Folau’s contract after his controversial social media posts.
Photo: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images