Saru president Oregan Hoskins has refuted an allegation that SA Rugby was aware of an inquiry into Jurie Roux’s employment at Stellenbosch University at the time of his appointment as CEO in 2010.
Roux remains at the centre of a multi-million rand investigation into alleged mismanagement of funds during his tenure as chairman of Maties Rugby Club, a post he left in 2010 to join Saru.
The latest damning findings from a preliminary audit report have once again led to questions over Saru's decision to appoint Roux despite the controversy surrounding his time at Stellenbosch University.
In a statement released on Friday, Hoskins sought to clarify the matter by providing the following facts:
- The appointment of the SA Rugby CEO in 2010 was handled entirely by an external, independent recruitment company.
- The recruitment company received all applications; prepared a shortlist; interviewed candidates and made a recommendation to the general council of SA Rugby.
- The recommendation of the consultants was accepted by the general council.
- None of the candidates was interviewed or had any other type of engagement with SA Rugby officials before the appointment.
- The recommendation in regard to Jurie Roux did not include any suggestion of an inquiry into his employment at Stellenbosch.
Photo: Grant Pitcher/ Gallo Images