Sanzaar game manager Lyndon Bray says Italy’s controversial tactics against England will result in law changes to the tackle area.
Italy’s tactics saw their defenders stand in England’s backline after a tackle, as because the Azzurri committed no players to the breakdown, no offside line had been formed.
In an interview with Sunday Times rugby writer Liam del Carme, Bray said it would be outlawed.
‘In the last two or three years, there has been considerable work done around the tackle. In the New Zealand Cup, they trialled quite extreme changes last year. What came out of it is that World Rugby has created the potential for a closed law trial around the tackle that looks to implement two things.
‘One would be an offside line at the tackle. It is a question of exactly when that comes into play in the tackle.
‘Second, taking away the rights of the tackler when he goes to ground on the wrong side of the tackled player.
‘We didn’t bring it into Super Rugby but we looked very closely at it. It will be talked about extensively next week at World Rugby and Sanzaar meetings.’