Malcolm Marx, Kwagga Smith and Lionel Cronje starred for their respective teams in round six of the Japanese Top League this past weekend.
– Flank Kwagga Smith crossed for one of 11 tries in Yamaha Jubilo’s 69-7 thrashing of the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. On Sunday it was reported that Smith is set for a return to South Africa after the completion of the club season in Japan.
– The NEC Green Rockets, with ex-Sharks flank Jean Droste in their ranks, slumped to a 26-12 defeat at the hands of the Ricoh Blacks Rams at home.
– Allister Coetzee’s Canon Eagles, featuring Rynier Bernardo, Jan de Klerk, Kobus van Dyk and Jesse Kriel, overpowered the Munakata Sanix Blues to claim a 22-10 win at home.
– Malcolm Marx scored the match-winning try as the NTT Communications Shining Arcs pipped Honda Heat 14-13 in a thrilling encounter. Marx started alongside No 8 Willie Britz and wing Sylvian Mahuza. With the game on a knife’s edge at the end, Britz was red-carded, but fortunately for him the Shining Arcs held on to win. RG Snyman and Paul Schoeman did service for Honda Heat, with the latter powering over for their only try of the game.
– No 5 lock Wimpie van der Walt and his NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes teammates were handed a 40-3 thrashing by the impressive Panasonic Wild Knights.
– Flyhalf Lionel Cronje produced a clutch kicking performance to guide Toyota Verblitz to a nervy 20-18 triumph over the Kubota Spears. He knocked over two conversions and two penalties for a 10-point haul, while teammate Clinton Swart chipped in with a try. Locks Carl Wegner and Jason Jenkins, wing Gio Aplon and fullback Willie le Roux also turned out for the winning team. Locks Ruan Botha and David Bulbring, flank Lappies Labuschagne, No 8 Duane Vermeulen and fullback Gerhard van den Heever played for the Spears.
Photo: @Toyota Verblitz/Facebook