SA Rugby president Mark Alexander has revealed that the organisation is hoping for a return-to-play within the next three to four months.
South Africa’s lockdown regulations mean that contact sports will only be played at Level 1, but Alexander confirmed rugby’s governing body is hoping to reinstate on-field action in August or September if possible.
Speaking to the Sunday Times, Alexander said they had presented plans and contingencies to the government last week and are awaiting a response from ministerial committees. The plans include a six-team franchise tournament to replace Vodacom Super Rugby followed by the Currie Cup.
‘That will take time. They did not indicate how long that might take,’ he said.
He added that the Boks’ mid-year Tests against Scotland and Georgia could be pushed back until October, while there’s no clear time-frame for when the Rugby Championship (scheduled for August and September) and South Africa’s end-of-year Tests in Europe will be played because it’s dependent on global travel restrictions.
Alexander further explained that a potentially congested schedule could also have player welfare implications that need to be factored in.
‘It will probably mean that teams will have enlarged squads to cope with the demands of that playing schedule.’