SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the South African players who featured for their respective clubs in round 14 of the French Top 14.
– Despite conceding a red card in the third minute of the match, Castres outscored Agen five tries to three to claim a 39-23 win at home. Lock Ryno Pieterse started for the winning team, who moved up into the top 10 after the favourable result.
– In an ill-disciplined contest that produced four yellow cards, a last-minute converted try led to Agen clinching a thrilling 23-22 win over out-of-form Montpellier. Centre Nico Lee and flank Retief Marais were in Agen’s starting lineup and both produced influential performances. Meanwhile, the 13th-placed Montpellier had locks Paul Willemse and Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, scrumhalf Cobus Reinach and fullback Henry Immelman in their ranks, with both Janse van Rensburg and Reinach being sent off in the second half.
– Clermont scored five tries in their 42-31 ousting of Pau. Veteran prop Lourens Adriaanse played for Pau, who dropped to 11th place in the standings after the loss.
– Lock Rynhardt Elstadt and his Toulouse teammates registered a 48-24 win over scrumhalf James Hall‘s Stade Français in a 10-try thriller. The hosts, who outscored Stade seven tries to three, have now climbed to the top of the table. Stade remain in fifth place.
– In arguably the upset of the weekend, Bordeaux shocked Lyon 31-9 at home. Replacement lock Jandre Marais scored a try eight minutes after coming off the bench for the winning team. The bonus-point victory moved Bordeaux within a point of their victims on the log.
Photo: Jandre Marais/Instagram