SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the past weekend’s Premiership Rugby Cup matches involving South African players.
– Damian Willemse made his Saracens debut in their 50-28 trouncing of Wasps in Coventry. Willemse, who is on a short-term loan during the World Cup, came off the bench in the 49th minute at flyhalf. Willemse had a positive impact on the match, collecting a loose ball and stepping his way past two tacklers before setting up a try. Ashley Johnson was a second-half replacement for Wasps.
– Jannes Kirsten started at lock for the Exeter Chiefs as they claimed a hard-fought 28-14 win over Bath. It was Kirsten’s first appearance for Exeter since joining from the Vodacom Bulls on a permanent deal.
– Johan Ackermann’s Gloucester side suffered a 49-24 defeat by the newly promoted London Irish. Former Lions tighthead Ruan Dreyer came off the bench for Gloucester, while prop Pat Cilliers and lock Franco van der Merwe were second-half replacements for the Irish.
– Rohan Janse van Rensburg got on the scoresheet as the Sale Sharks claimed a 39-18 victory over the Northampton Saints. Janse van Rensburg crossed for a second-half try before being replaced in the 55th minute. All three Du Preez brothers, Robert, Jean-Luc and Daniel, started for Sale. Akker van der Merwe and Embrose Papier made their first appearances for the Manchester-based club from the bench. Papier is on a short-term loan deal from the Bulls.
– The Worcester Warriors scored eight tries to beat the Leicester Tigers 57-23. Fullback Scott van Breda and wing Dean Hammond started for the Warriors, who had Gerrit-Jan van Velze at No 8. Van Breda kicked two conversions.