SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the past weekend's European Cup, European Challenge Cup and Celtic Pro12 matches that involved South African players.
– Springboks Bryan Habana (wing), Juan Smith (flank) and Danie Rossouw (lock) and former Sharks hooker Craig Burden were in Toulon’s starting ranks for their semi-final clash with Munster on Sunday. Munster, who lost 24-16, had ex-Bulls flank CJ Stander and former Sharks prop BJ Botha in their run-on team, while scrumhalf Michael Claassens made an appearance for the victorious Toulon from the 62nd minute.
– Saracens demolished Clermont 46-6 in London, with centre Brad Barritt, ex-Bok scrumhalf Neil de Kock, lock Mouritz Botha and former Stormers hooker Schalk Brits starting for the winning team. In the 66th minute, Botha was replaced by ex-Shark Alistair Hargreaves. This is the first time Saracens have reached the final of the European Cup.
EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
– Former Cheetahs flank Ashley Johnson continued his fine form when he scored for London Wasps in their semi-final against Bath, but it was all in vain as they succumbed 24-18. In the final, Bath will face the Northampton Saints, who powered past Harlequins 36-21 in the other semi-final.
– The Glasgow Warriors easily dispatched Edinburgh 37-34 in their Scottish derby at Scotstoun. The victory moved ex-Lions No 8 Josh Strauss and his Warriors’ team-mates up to second on the Pro12 log. Former Kings centre Andries Strauss, flyhalf Carl Bezuidenhout, flank Cornell du Preez, lock Izak van der Westhuizen and prop WP Nel were named in coach Alan Solomons’ starting XV. It's was Nel's 50th cap for Edinburgh and he scored their first try. Van der Westhuizen was sin-binned for a high tackle and substitute prop Wicus Blaauw came on to the field with three minutes left on the clock.
– Meanwhile, Ospreys have signed EP Kings second-row Rynier Bernardo on a three-year deal, replacing Ian Evans who is going to Toulon. The 22-year-old played 10 games for the Southern Kings in last season's Super XV.
Compiled by Mariette Adams
Photo: David Rogers/Getty Images