SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the South African players who featured for their respective clubs in the opening round of the 2020-21 English Premiership season.
– The reigning champion Exeter Chiefs, featuring flanks Don Armand and Jannes Kirsten, started their title defence with a commanding 33-3 win over hosts Harlequins at the Stoop. Centre Andre Esterhuizen, lock Stephan Lewies and debutants Wilco Louw and Tyrone Green all turned out for Quins. The win placed Exeter at the top of the log after the first round.
– Wing Kobus van Wyk, centre Jaco Taute, No 8 Jasper Wiese and flank Hanro Liebenberg and Cyle Brink were part of the Leicester Tigers team that thrashed Gloucester 38-15 at Welford Road. Gloucester had former Lions duo Ruan Ackermann and Corne Fourie in their ranks. Leicester are now second on the log and Gloucester 11th.
– The Sale Sharks made an excellent start to their campaign with a 32-23 win over the Northampton Saints. Hooker Akker van der Merwe and No 8 Dan du Preez each scored one of Sale’s four tries. They played alongside compatriots Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Faf de Klerk, Coenie Oosthuizen, Cobus Wiese, Jean-Luc du Preez, Jono Ross and Rob du Preez, who kicked a penalty. Lock Dave Ribbans was on the bench for Northampton.
— SA Rugby magazine (@SARugbymag) November 20, 2020
– Ex-Sharks Prop Juan Schoeman formed part of the Bath lineup that slumped to an agonising 19-12 defeat by the Newcastle Falcons, who are sitting in fourth place on the log.
– Juan de Jongh started at outside centre for Wasps, who claimed a hard-fought 23-20 victory over the Bristol Bears. De Jongh was yellow-carded in the 46th minute.
– The Worcester Warriors, featuring Francois Venter, Francois Hougaard, Anton Bresler, Nick Schonert and Richard Palframan, clinched a nervy 11-10 victory over London Irish. Prop Allan Dell played off the bench for London Irish.
Photo: Sale Sharks/Twitter