For the first Test against Ireland at Newlands on Saturday.
– The Springbok starting XV boasts a total of 474 Test caps (179 in the backline and 295 in the forwards), while there are a further 51 caps on the bench.
– South Africa and Ireland have played each other 22 times since 1906, with the Springboks winning 16 Tests, losing five and one drawn. The Boks have scored 432 points and 62 tries and conceded 277 points and 26 tries for an average score of 20-13.
– South Africa and Ireland last met on 8 November 2014 in Dublin, with the hosts winning 29-15. Ireland flyhalf Johnny Sexton kicked four penalties and two conversions for a 16-point haul.
– Adriaan Strauss will become the 57th Springbok captain.
– Faf de Klerk will become Springbok No 870. If he goes on, Bongi Mbonambi will become Springbok No 871.
– Beast Mtawarira is the most experienced player in the side with 75 Test caps. He is just five Tests short of Os du Randt’s record of 80 for South Africa as prop. Three other players have played 50 or more Tests for South Africa – JP Pietersen with 66, Adriaan Strauss with 54 and Pat Lambie with 50. The last time that the Springboks played without a centurion in their side was against Argentina on 23 August, 2014 in Salta, 20 Tests ago.
– Adriaan Strauss played against his cousin Richardt Strauss the last two times the Springboks and Ireland met – in 2012 and 2014. They are likely to meet each other again during this series as Richardt is in the Ireland squad for this tour.
– Elton Jantjies last played in a Test for South Africa in 2012 and Julian Redelinghuys played his two Tests in 2014.
– It will be Allister Coetzee’s first Test in charge of the Springboks since he took over from Heyneke Meyer earlier in 2016.
– The referee is Mathieu Raynal of France. It will be his first Test involving South Africa.
– This will be the Springboks’ 52nd Test at Newlands in Cape Town. The Boks have won 35, lost 14 and drawn twice. The average score at Newlands is 19-12.
Photo: Gallo Images