A closer look at how the Springbok players are performing in leagues around Europe in the lead-up to the much-anticipated three-Test series against the British & Irish Lions.
– Wilco Louw and Harlequins progressed to the final after pulling off a remarkable comeback from 28-0 down to beat the Bristol Bears 43-36 after extra time in a 100-minute match. Louw, who missed out on the Bok squad for the Lions series, started at tighthead for Harlequins and played 60 minutes, but impressively made two try-saving tackles. Another capped Springbok, Harlequins captain Stephan Lewies, played 74 minutes and made 11 tackles, winning one turnover. Meanwhile, uncapped Tyrone Green was named man of the match after scoring two tries, making one assist, beating 14 defenders and running 168 metres.
Tyrone Green v Bristol Bears 🃏
100 Minutes ⏰
6 Tackles 👊
5 Missed tackles ✖️
7 Kicks 👟
13 Passes 🖐
20 Carries 🏃
14 Defenders beaten 🔥
3 Clean breaks 💨
168 Running metres 😳
1 Try assist 🅰️
2 Tries 🏉
🏅 Man of the match #GallagherPrem | #SaffasAbroad pic.twitter.com/UxfMUH8TCL
— Jared Wright (@jaredwright17) June 21, 2021
– The Springboks at the Sale Sharks will be able to link up with the Bok training camp in Bloemfontein after their side was beaten 40-30 by the Exeter Chiefs in the second semi-final. Jean-Luc, Dan and Robert du Preez all started for Sale, as did Coenie Oosthuizen, Faf de Klerk and Rohan Janse van Rensburg. Dan du Preez scored a 70th-minute try for Sale, during which he flattened Lions player Sam Simmonds on his way to the tryline. Janse van Rensburg scored a brace of tries.
FRENCH TOP 14
– Cheslin Kolbe and Rynhardt Elstadt will both play in the Top 14 final after Toulouse claimed a 24-21 victory over Bordeaux, who were reduced to 14 men in the second half. Kolbe played the full 80 minutes but his efforts received a scathing review in the French press after the match, with one publication giving him a 3/10. Bordeaux’s hooker, Joseph Dweba, again missed out after not playing in last week’s qualifier match.
French publication RugbyRama weren’t impressed with Cheslin Kolbe’s performance last night.
— Jared Wright (@jaredwright17) June 20, 2021
– Springboks Dillyn Leyds and Raymond Rhule, not included in the Lions series squad, will face Toulouse in the final as La Rochelle battled to a 19-6 win over Racing 92. The duo both played the full match and will now have an opportunity to once again prove their Springbok credentials.
– Vincent Koch played a crucial role in ensuring Saracens’ promotion back to the Premiership after they beat the Ealing Trailfinders in the second leg of the promotion playoff. Koch scored one of Saracens’ tries as they recovered from a sluggish start to win 57-10.
Photo: Lionel Hahn/Getty Images