Sanzaar says the Rugby Championship double-headers to be played in Queensland, Australia, will take place under non-negotiable Covid-19-safe conditions.
It was confirmed on Tuesday that Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa will play four double-header Tests in front of fans between 12 September and 2 October in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Townsville.
Commenting on the decision to play the remainder of the tournament in Australia, despite considering several other options, Sanzaar CEO Brendan Morris said: “We thought last year was tough when we had to implement a Tri-Nations tournament in Australia with South Africa absent due to the pandemic, but the current disruption caused by the Delta variant of Covid-19 has seen government authorities tighten up border bio-security measures substantially.”
“This is totally understandable but after exploring several options, including moving the tournament to South Africa and even Europe, we now look forward with excitement to the remainder of the Rugby Championship in Queensland. Indeed, I am delighted on behalf of the Sanzaar stakeholders that we can now complete this world-class rugby tournament.
“We are very excited about this unique format and rugby experience as we look to deliver a month of double-headers with the world’s best players in Queensland, something never done in international rugby before.”
“On behalf of Sanzaar and the national unions, I would like to sincerely thank the Queensland government for working with us and providing a travel, accommodation, training and playing environment that will allow us to safely complete the tournament. Sanzaar and the national unions will now work closely with the states’ health authorities to ensure all bio-security measures are adhered to.
“I personally want to thank Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young, as well as John Lee of the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport, and their respective departments for their tireless efforts in supporting this tournament.
“Sanzaar would also like to recognise the tournaments’ various commercial partners, our television broadcast rights holders and the fans for their patience and for their flexibility and understanding in this difficult time.”
Queensland sport minister Stirling Hinchliffe said the Palaszczu government had worked quickly with Sanzaar to put in place strict quarantine requirements for the 2021 Rugby Championship matches to go ahead in Queensland.
“The four international rugby double-headers to be played in Queensland will take place under non-negotiable Covid-safe conditions for the safety of players and spectators,” Hinchliffe said.
“Queensland’s Chief Health Officer has insisted on stringent bio-security measures for the eight matches to be played in front of spectators at Suncorp Stadium, Cbus on the Gold Coast and Townsville’s Queensland Country Bank Stadium.
“Although there’s plenty for rugby fans in Queensland to be excited about, I want to make it clear the cost of relocating and quarantine for the remainder of the 2021 Rugby Championship is at the expense of Sanzaar.
“While the relocation of the 2021 championship is a bonus for rugby-loving Queenslanders, we know this tournament will also be a bitter-sweet experience.
“Many Queensland fans continue to be concerned for the welfare of interstate family and friends in tough, ongoing lockdowns because of the pandemic’s Delta strain,” added Hinchliffe.
Photo: Getty Images