Stats and facts for the Vodacom Super Rugby matches involving South African teams in round 18.
STORMERS vs SHARKS (Newlands, Saturday, 3:05pm)
– The Stormers have won their last two games on the bounce against the Sharks in Super Rugby; the last time they won more was a three-game streak against them across the 2011 and 2012 campaigns.
– The Stormers have lost only one of their last eight games played at home in Super Rugby (W6, D1), and are undefeated in their last four (W3, D1).
– The Sharks picked up a 42-5 win over the Lions in their last South African derby away from home in Super Rugby, snapping a seven-game losing run in such fixtures.
– The Stormers have scored only 14 first-half tries thus far in Super Rugby 2019, fewer than any other team in the competition.
– The Sharks’ Andre Esterhuizen has scored a try in two of his last three games away from home after having not crossed in any of his 33 away games prior.
VODACOM BULLS vs LIONS (Pretoria, Saturday, 5:15pm)
– Three of the last five Super Rugby games between the Bulls and Lions have been won by the away side on the day, with the Lions picking up four wins in that span.
– The Bulls are just the third side in Super Rugby history to draw two consecutive games (Force in 2006, Chiefs in 2014); no side has ever drawn three consecutive games in the competition.
– The Lions have won only two of their previous seven South African derbies in Super Rugby, this after having won 19 on the bounce prior.
– The Bulls have kicked 44 penalty goals thus far in Super Rugby 2019, nine more than any other team in the competition, and 30 more than the Lions (14).
– Only the Hurricanes’ Ardie Savea (26) has won more turnovers than the Lions’ Kwagga Smith (20) in Super Rugby 2019.
Photo: Gavin Barker/BackpagePix