Following confirmation of a new 12-man rugby tournament, take a look at the law and position variations that will be implemented in this latest abbreviated format of the game.
World 12s Limited, a newly formed international company, has launched an innovative 12-a-side rugby union tournament where the world’s best male and female players will compete annually around the world.
Kicking off in August 2022 in England, World 12s aspires to bring £250 million of new financial stimulus into the global game over the next five years, while attracting a new global fanbase.
Here’s a list of the new rugby laws that will be implemented in this abbreviated form of the game and an explainer of how teams will line up in term of positions, with news that six forwards and six backs need to be fielded.
- Every franchise will be required to select at least two players from tier-two nations and one U20 international player
- Maximum of one scrum reset (then free kicks)
- Scrum infringements = a penalty that cannot be kicked at goal
- 15-minute halves – Drop-goal conversions only
- The game will be played on a full-sized 15-a-side rugby pitch
- Flank/No 8