Celebrating the Blitzboks’ success
- 20 Jun 2017
The victorious Springbok Sevens are on the cover of the new SA Rugby magazine, on sale this week.
The Blitzboks have played their way into the hearts of South African rugby fans. That was evident by the raucous reception the newly crowned World Rugby Sevens Series champions received at Cape Town International Airport on 23 May and on their trophy roadshow around the country.
Yes, everyone loves a winner, but the team’s huge popularity is also down to their passion, professionalism, commitment, camaraderie, diversity, humility and the way they play the game.
The Blitzboks made their first cover appearance for SA Rugby magazine last year, before the Olympic Games, and it was a no-brainer for us to honour them again with a cover that celebrates their title triumph.
In this issue, coach Neil Powell tells us how they did it, and how they can stay on top of the sevens world.
Also in the magazine:
– Philip Snyman on captaining the Blitzboks, winning the World Rugby Sevens Series title, and the challenge of defending it next season
– Columnist John Plumtree explains why New Zealand teams continue to lead the way on attack
– Sharks and Junior Boks star Curwin Bosch wants to settle at flyhalf
– Chris Cloete’s inclusion in the South Africa A squad was just reward for an outstanding Super Rugby season
– New Bulls boss John Mitchell on his role at the union, mentoring Nollis Marais, and how he’s grown as a coach since leaving the Lions
– SA Rugby magazine’s analysis shows why South Africa’s teams have battled to compete against their New Zealand counterparts in the regular season
– The Bulls' Kamp Staaldraad: The night Thando Manana spooned with Victor Matfield
– Ruan Pienaar said a tearful goodbye to Ulster after he and the Irish province were forced to part ways
– Schalk Burger is enjoying Saracens’ South African-influenced culture
– Jake White’s stint at Montpellier ended in failure, because he misread the French psyche
– Morné Steyn on winning the European Challenge Cup with Stade Français, the failed merger with Racing 92 and his future plans
– Our Saffas in Europe XV of the Season, based on players' club form,
– Robbie Kempson's Perfect XV
‘Error rate in Durban was dreadful’
What former Bok coach NICK MALLETT had to say on SuperSport about the past weekend's Super Rugby matches involving South African teams.
SA rugby’s quality exports
CRAIG LEWIS identifies several key overseas-based players who could add value to the Springboks’ cause at the 2019 World Cup.
Pollard is silencing doubters
The manner in which Handré Pollard has marshalled proceedings in the Bulls’ recent wins over the Stormers and Sharks is a positive sign for the Boks, writes CRAIG LEWIS.