For the Springboks’ Rugby Championship match against Argentina in Mendoza.
– The total Test caps for the Springbok starting lineup is 437. There are 103 caps in the backline with 334 among the forwards. On the bench, there are a further 109.
– The average caps per player in the backline is 15, the forwards 42, while the players on the bench average 14. The average age of the starting XV is 26.
– Handré Pollard needs 21 points during this tournament for 100 points in the Rugby Championship. He also needs six points in this Test to reach 50 career points against Argentina.
– Mendoza is situated on the eastern side of the Andes Mountains, approximately 750m above sea level. The driving distance between Mendoza and Buenos Aires is 1,050 km.
– It will be the third time that the Springboks will face Argentina in a Test at this stadium, which was opened in 1978. The stadium’s seating capacity is 42,500.
– The first Rugby Championship match against Argentina in Mendoza was played on 25 August 2012, the year when Argentina were introduced to competition. It ended 16-16. The second Championship match against Argentina in Mendoza took place almost exactly one year later on 24 August 2013, when South Africa won 22-17.
– On Saturday, there will be five players who played in that Test five years ago. They are Willie le Roux, Francois Louw, Eben Etzebeth, Tendai Mtawarira and Siya Kolisi.
– The Springbok record at this stadium – P: 2; W: 1; D: 1; PF: 38; PA: 33; TF: 2; TA: 3; Average score: 19-17; Win%: 50%.
– South Africa’s overall record against Argentina: P: 27; W: 24; L: 2; D: 1; PF: 969; PA: 531; TF: 115; TA: 49; Average score: 36-20. Win%: 89%.
– South Africa’s record in the Rugby Championship against Argentina: P: 12; W: 9; L: 2; D: 1; PF: 375; PA: 234; TF: 41; TA: 22; Average score: 31-20. Win%: 75%.
– The Springboks’ best performance in Argentina was in 2004 when they won with a margin of 32 (39-7) in Buenos Aires. Their highest score is 52 (52-23) in 1993, also in Buenos Aires. On two occasions they have scored seven tries against the Pumas, both occasions in Buenos Aires.
– Mtawarira is now the most capped Springbok against Argentina (15 Tests). He surpassed Bryan Habana’s 14 Test caps against the Pumas in last Saturday’s Test match in Durban.
– Mtawarira will play in his 103rd Test, thereby surpassing Percy Montgomery (102) for most Tests in the green and gold. This will move him into fifth place of Springbok centurions, behind Victor Matfield (127), Habana (124), John Smit (111) and Jean de Villiers (109).
– The referee is Angus Gardner of Australia. He was born on 24 August 1984 in Sydney. His first Test was in November 2011 in a match between Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu. Gardner has refereed in 15 Tests – three Tests involving South Africa.
– The assistant referees are Ben O’Keeffe of New Zealand and Andrew Brace of Ireland, while Simon McDowell of Ireland is set to perform TMO duties.
Photo: Steve Haag/Gallo Images