For the match against Italy at the Stadio Euganeo in Padua on Saturday.
– The total Test caps for the Springbok starting lineup is 428. There are 93 caps in the backline with 335 caps among the forwards, and a further 129 on the bench.
– The average caps per player in the backline are 13, the forwards 42, while the players on the bench average 16.
– The average age of the starting XV is 26.
– Beast Mtawarira will extend his record as the most-capped Springbok prop to 98 caps in this position. He is the third most experienced Bok forward, behind Victor Matfield and John Smit.
– Eben Etzebeth will play in his 10th Test as captain.
– Handré Pollard needs two points to reach 200 in Tests for South Africa.
– Warrick Gelant could make his Springbok debut should he be used as a substitute. His Bok number will then be No 890.
– Should Chiliboy Ralepelle be used from the bench, it will be his first appearance in a Test since June 2013.
– Four players will play in their 12th consecutive Test of the season – Andries Coetzee, Courtnall Skosan, Eben Etzebeth and Steven Kitshoff, should he be used as a substitute.
– Padova is situated in northern Italy, approximately 40km west of Venice. Stadio Euganeo is a football stadium, but it is also used for concerts, rugby league, rugby union and athletics and has a seating capacity is 32,420.
– South Africa has played one Test against Italy at this stadium, when they won 22-6 on 22 November 2014.
– Five Springboks of the current squad played in that Test – Duane Vermeulen, Eben Etzebeth, Trevor Nyakane, Handré Pollard and Lood de Jager.
– South Africa’s overall record against Italy: P: 13; W: 12; L: 1; PF: 617; PA: 165; TF: 84; TA: 14; Average score: 47-13. Win%: 92%.
– South Africa scored 101 points against Italy in 1999 at Kings Park, Durban, their third highest score in a Test. They also set the second highest winning margin.
– Italy’s only win against South Africa was last year when they lost 18-20 in Florence.
Photo: Aurelien Meunier/Gallo Images