Vodacom Bulls CEO Alfons Meyer has confirmed the departure of Handré Pollard to Montpellier, and the signing of Morné Steyn from Stade Français.
Pollard was linked with a move to Montpiellier earlier in the week, while reports circulated that the Bulls could replace him with Steyn.
On Wednesday, Meyer confirmed both events, saying that while it is difficult to lose a player of Pollard’s calibre, he is excited by Steyn’s return.
The 25-year-old Pollard is believed to have signed a deal worth R20-million per season, while Steyn inked a two-year deal with the Bulls.
‘Handré has been a true servant for us for six years. He has been an outstanding asset, not only to the teams he played for, but also our supporters, to whom he endeared himself from early on with his attitude towards the Bulls. He will be missed for sure, but we cannot fault his decision to continue his career in France. We wish him well,’ Meyer said in a statement.
‘Losing Handré was just one of those things. We tried our best to keep him here, but there is no chance that we can compete with the lure of the euro and the pound,’ Meyer told Netwerk24.
‘Even Rassie Erasmus thinks bringing Steyn back is a good acquisition. With Handré going to France, it means Manie Libbok is the only flyhalf remaining in our group. Morné is very experienced and he can be a very good mentor for Manie.
‘It is great for us, he is a very experienced player who can still play at the highest levels. He knows the culture and passion of the Bulls as well as any one and will no doubt contribute massively, not only on the field, but also off it. We are very pleased to have him back in the Bull kraal.’
The news of Pollard’s exit means the Bulls will be without him, Jesse Kriel and Lood de Jager next year.
Photo: Gavin Barker/BackpagePix