SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the past weekend’s Anglo-Welsh Cup matches, involving South African players.
– Hooker Michael van Vuuren featured in the Bath side that recorded a 33-31 comeback win over the Leicester Tigers at the Rec. The result keeps Bath at the top of the standings in Pool 1.
– Nizaam Carr enjoyed a fine debut for Wasps, as they brushed aside the Ospreys 36-12 in Swansea. Starting at No 8, Carr crashed over for a try in the 44th minute. Wasps are second in the pool behind Bath.
– Stand-in captain and No 8 Josh Strauss inspired the Sale Sharks to a thrilling 29-22 victory over Saracens courtesy of a dominant second-half display in Eccles.
– The Newcastle Falcons ran in nine tries to crush the Cardiff Blues 57-0 at Kingston Park. Former Sharks hooker Kyle Cooper played for the Falcons, while lock George Earle captained the struggling Blues.
– Scrumhalf Cobus Reinach and his Northampton Saints teammates cruised to a 41-7 victory against the Dragons at Franklin’s Gardens. Reinach scored one of the Saints’ six tries. Pat Howard started at inside centre for the Dragons and Ligtoring Landman at No 5 lock, while prop Brok Harris was used as an impact player.
– Dean Hammond scored a hat-trick for the Worcester Warriors, but it wasn’t enough as they slumped to a 45-37 defeat at the hands of Harlequins. Debutant hooper Kurt Haupt and prop Nick Schonert played alongside Hammond for the Warriors.