Eben Etzebeth says he has been assured by police that he will not be implicated following allegations of an unsavoury incident in Langebaan on the weekend.
On Sunday, rumours emerged on social media to suggest that Etzebeth had been involved in an ‘assault’ that allegedly had racial connotations.
Etzebeth first strongly refuted the claims, while SA Rugby stated on Monday that the lock would remain with the Springboks unless the police require reconsideration.
The 27-year-old was included in the Bok’s 31-man squad for the World Cup on Monday. He told Netwerk24 that he has already spoken to the police about the incident.
‘They said everything is fine,’ Etzebeth said. ‘Now I can just focus on the World Cup.’
Bok coach Rassie Erasmus backed Etzebeth after the squad announcement, saying he trusted his version of events.
‘I’m pretty comfortable with what he has told me, you can’t just believe what someone else says on social media. I’m comfortable that it’s not the truth, and if anything like that was the truth then they would not be part of our team and would not go to the World Cup,’ Erasmus said.
Rassie Erasmus says he is backing Eben Etzebeth. pic.twitter.com/4V80SA4Nwv
— SA Rugby magazine (@SARugbymag) August 26, 2019
Photo: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images