Damian de Allende has admitted that an explosion, which left him and RG Snyman with severe burns, had been caused by a Munster teammate throwing petrol on a fire.
News broke on Monday that the Bok duo had sustained burns to their legs, hands and face after being involved in a ‘fire-pit accident’ along with two other Munster teammates over this past weekend.
De Allende, Snyman, Mike Haley and CJ Stander required treatment for burns following the incident, but while the latter two had superficial burns and are expected to return to training this week, the Bok pair sustained more substantial burns and will be meeting a specialist again later this week to review next steps of their recovery.
According to a new report, as per SuperSport’s Brenden Nel, De Allende has revealed that a Munster teammate had thrown petrol over their pit fire, which led to the petrol can exploding.
‘We were just sitting around the fire and one of the boys threw a bit of petrol over the fire and then it caught his hand and he just tried to put it down on the floor and then the whole thing caught alight and exploded,’ De Allende told SuperSport.
The Bok centre added that it could’ve been a lot worse.
‘Yeah, that’s what we’ve been saying. They thought it was a lot worse when we went into hospital on Saturday night but when we saw the specialist on Sunday, he said it wasn’t as bad as they got told,’ De Allende explained.
Other sources have suggested the accident was in fact as the result of a prank gone wrong, with the suggestion being that Stander was the culprit of throwing a ‘fire bomb’ into the pit, which then exploded.
De Allende and Snyman were both included in the 46-man Springbok squad on Saturday and are expected to link up with the group despite their injury concerns.
Photo: Getty Images