SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the past weekend's French Top 14 matches, which involved SA players.
– Montpellier secured a 21-20 victory over Clermont, with five penalties and two drop goals. Former Cheetahs centre Robert Ebersohn continued his fine form for the winning side and was joined in the midfield by ex-Bulls centre Wynand Olivier, while prop Daniel Kotze played for Clermont from the 71st minute.
– Former Stormers flyhalf Peter Grant and lock Jacobus Grobler were in the newly promoted La Rochelle’s run-on XV, who recorded a comfortable 37-25 win against Toulouse.
– In another upset, newcomers Lyon defeated Brive 24-6. Ex-Bok scrumhalf Ricky Januarie started for the victors and hooker Deon Fourie and flank Frans Viljoen joined in the 61st and 73rd minutes respectively. Former SA U20 lock Peet Marais and flyhalf Riaan Swanepoel played for Brive, while ex-Kings prop Kevin Buys came on in the 52nd minute before he was sin-binned in the 76th.
– Ex-Sharks hooker Jody Jenneker and former Bulls flank Pedrie Wannenburg were in Oyonnax’s starting team who registered a 33-6 bonus-point win over Stade Français. Ex-Cheetahs flyhalf Riaan Smit completed their bench. Lock Gerhard Mostert and former Sharks centre Meyer Bosman were handed run-on spots for Stade.
– Scrumhalf Rory Kockott kicked three conversions and two penalties for his 12-point haul in Castres’ 30-6 win against Bayonne. Prop Gert Muller and fullback Scott Spedding started for the losers, while prop JC Janse van Rensburg came on as a substitute in the 15th minute.
– Grenoble outscored Bordeaux five tries to two, for a 37-23 victory. Fullback Gio Aplon, scrumhalf Charl McLeod, lock Hendrik Roodt and prop Albertus Buckle were all named in Grenoble’s starting lineup, while lock Jandré Marais did service for the Basque side.
– Racing Métro registered a 17-10 victory against champions Toulon. Lock Francois van der Merwe started for Racing and scored the opening try. His compatriots, flyhalf Johan Goosen, former Bok prop Brian Mujati and lock Juandré Kruger were used as replacements from the 49th, 55th and 61st minutes respectively. Former Lions flank Gerhard Vosloo and ex-Sharks hooker Craig Burden earned starting berths for Toulon, while Bok flank Juan Smith made an appearance off the bench in the 49th minute. Burden was yellow-carded in the 17th minute.
Photo: Remy Gabalda/AFP