• Mongalo cleared of indecent assault charges

    Former Lions defence coach Joey Mongalo has released the official statement confirming he has been acquitted on a charge of sexual assault following a successful appeal.

    In April last year, Mongalo was accused and subsequently charged with allegedly indecently assaulting a female hotel staff member in a stairwell three days after the Lions’ 2018 Super Rugby match against the Waratahs.

    Subsequently, he was convicted and sentenced by an Australian magistrate court, receiving a fine of A$2,000 (R20,000), but then decided to appeal the finding.

    However, on Friday, the New South Wales District Court set aside Mongalo’s earlier conviction.

    Mongalo told Rapport newspaper that he was happy that the matter was now resolved.

    ‘I said from the beginning that I did not commit an offence,’ he stated. ‘In the same breath, to be involved in something like this, runs counter to the values ​​I aspire to live every day.’

    Mongalo ended his time with the Lions earlier this year.

    Photo: Lee Warren/Gallo Images