Sean Everitt has revealed that it could be “some time” before Sbu Nkosi returns to play for the Sharks after the Springbok wing suffered yet another injury setback this week.
Nkosi has not played for the Sharks since the 26 February match against Italian side Benetton, when he dotted down for a crucial fourth try to help his side come away with a full house of points.
Since then, speculation has been rife that the 26-year-old could be set to join the Bulls, as Everitt confirmed that an offer has already been made for the speedster’s services.
Two weeks ago, Everitt said that while Nkosi “has been offered to go to the Bulls”, nothing was set in stone yet and his absence from the team was due to a “gastric intestinal virus”.
Nkosi was due to return to full training with the Sharks this week, but was once again left out of the team to face the Lions in Durban on Saturday.
“Unfortunately, Sbu returned to training on Monday and he sustained an injury to his ankle, so he is unavailable for some time,” Everitt explained.
The good news for Sharks fans is that in Nkosi’s absence, former Blitzbok Werner Kok has proved a more than capable replacement on the right wing, dotting down for an incredible solo try against the Dragons last week.
Kok’s performance on the weekend [in the 51-3 win over the Dragons] was top drawer,” Everitt said. “His aerial skills have improved over the last few weeks and his finishing on Friday night was outstanding and he brought the spectators to their feet.
“We are very proud and that is probably one of the best games he has played for the Sharks.
“The pleasing thing for us is that we got depth in those positions when a Springbok is unfortunately out.”
Photo: Sydney Seshibedi/Gallo Images