The Lions will look to exact revenge when they host Scarlets at Ellis Park in the Vodacom United Rugby Championship on Sunday after losing to the Welsh outfit by 23 points last season.
Overall URC head-to-head record: Played 1, Scarlets won 1
When they last met:
— SA Rugby magazine (@SARugbymag) December 1, 2022
Did you know?
– The last time that the Lions faced the Scarlets, they were soundly defeated 36-13.
– The Lions have won one more game than they’ve lost so far this season.
– The Scarlets have failed to secure a win away from home in their last four attempts.
– Often opting to play a narrower game, the Lions have averaged the fewest passes per 80 minutes in the league (96.9).
– No 8 Francke Horn is the Lions’ top try-scorer, having scored five so far. Facilitating such performances, Sanele Nohamba has made the most try assists in the squad from scrum-half (three).
– Lions lock Reinhard Nothnagel has secured more attacking rucks than any other player, protecting his team’s ball at the breakdown 104 times in total.
– Sione Kalamafoni is currently ranked 5th for metres made (375). The next forward on the list is Francke Horn, all the way down in 21st – testament to Kalamafoni’s incredible form. He has also made 127 carries, 40 more than next best Viliame Mata.
– Gareth Davies has kicked more bombs than any other player (26). 20% of Davies’ kicks have been collected by a teammate.
– The Scarlets are the only team in the league yet to lose a scrum on their own feed, boasting an impressive 100% record at this set-piece.