The Emirates Lions and DHL Stormers renew hostilities when the SA teams lock horns in a Vodacom United Rugby Championship clash at Ellis Park on Saturday.
Overall URC head-to-head record: Played 2, Stormers won 1, Lions won 1.
When they last met:
Did you know?
– Opting to kick longer and turn the defending back three, the Lions have retained the fewest kicks in the league (10). However, 49 of their 117 kicks from hand have found grass even if they are yet to manage a 50/22.
– The Lions have the lowest league rate of ball retention at the maul, only managing to recycle possession from 87%.
– Lions lock Reinhard Nothnagel has secured more rucks for his team than any other player in the league, standing sentinel over the ball before it is played away (87).
– Very evident in their shock loss against Cardiff in round six, the Stormers have the worst rate of ball retention at the ruck (91%).
– Manie Libbok is the only player in URC to have kicked two 50/22s, he also managed a round-high three offloads last weekend.
– Continuing his bruising start to the season, Stormers loose forward Hacjivah Dayimani beat more defenders last weekend than any other forward (seven).
– When these sides have met in the URC, the away side has always been the victor.
– The Lions have lost three of their past four matches played at home.
– The Stormers will surely be back with a vengeance this week after Cardiff ended their incredible 15-match winning streak.
— SA Rugby magazine (@SARugbymag) October 27, 2022
Photo: Ryan Wilkisky/BackpagePix