After seven rounds of Super Rugby, CRAIG LEWIS takes a look at an overall form South African XV based on performances thus far this season.
Throughout this season, SARugbymag.co.za has chosen a weekly Bok barometer, and after seven rounds it’s become clear that certain players have performed with impressive consistency.
Notably, SP Marais has featured at fullback on five occasions, with the Lions’ Andries Coetzee the only other candidate selected at 15.
Interestingly, and against pre-season expectations, Curwin Bosch has featured most prominently as the flyhalf selection, with the youngster receiving three picks at pivot. At outside centre, EW Viljoen has also emerged as the find of the season for the Stormers.
Other notable standouts have been Kings openside flanker Chris Cloete, who has featured three times at No 6, while Siya Kolisi has recently emerged as a relative shoo-in at blindside flank.
Similarly, Pieter-Steph du Toit and Eben Etzebeth have dominated the second-row selections, while Stormers teammate Bongi Mbonambi has predominantly held down the No 2 jersey.
All in all, here is the form XV that has taken shape after seven rounds of competition:
OVERALL TEAM XV
15. SP Marais (Stormers – five previous picks)
14. Kobus van Wyk (Sharks – three previous picks)
13. EW Viljoen (Stormers – four previous picks)
12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Lions – three previous picks)
11. Raymond Rhule (Cheetahs – three previous picks)
10. Curwin Bosch (Sharks – three previous picks)
9. Cobus Reinach (Sharks – two previous picks)
8. Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers)/Warren Whiteley (Lions – three previous picks each)
7. Siya Kolisi (Stormers – three previous picks)
6. Chris Cloete (Kings)/Jaco Kriel (Lions – three previous picks each)
5. Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers – four previous picks)
4. Eben Etzebeth (Stormers – five previous picks)
3. Coenie Oosthuizen (Sharks – three previous picks)
2. Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers – five previous picks)
1. JC Janse van Rensburg (Stormers – two previous picks)
Photo: Carl Fourie/Gallo Images