Kings chairman Andre Rademan said it wasn’t a popular decision, but the right one, to withdraw the team from participation in any planned domestic rugby competitions in 2020.
On Tuesday, players and staff were informed of the decision in the ‘face of hard financial realities’.
The decision was supported by the executive committee of the Eastern Province Rugby Union (EPRU) and SA Rugby – the two shareholders in the Kings company.
‘This may not be a popular decision but in the current circumstances it is the right decision. This is obviously very disappointing news for the players and management who, like all rugby professionals, were desperate to resume playing,’ said Rademan.
‘But the board believed that further investment in 2020 with zero commercial return would be reckless in the extreme.’
Rademan added that with ongoing uncertainty about competition formats and travel restrictions into 2021, the board would now take time to reconsider its options and the on-going financial challenges.
‘As a board we had been considering further short-term contracts to see the squad through to the end of the year,’ he said. ‘But it became apparent that we would, for want a better phrase, be throwing good money after bad in the current global environment.
‘We now have time to consider what is the best way forward for rugby in the Eastern Province in this fluid and financially challenging environment.’