SARugbymag.co.za looks back at the past weekend’s European Champions Cup
EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP
– Centre Brad Barritt, loose forwards Michael Rhodes and Schalk Burger, and prop Vincent Koch all featured in Saracens’ 32-16 semi-final win over Munster. Rhodes scored one of Sarries’ two tries. Lock Jean Kleyn and loose forwards CJ Stander and Arno Botha represented Munster.
It took a while but @Saracens finally found a chink in @Munsterrugby‘s armour ?@MikeRhodes7 with a brilliant line to slice through, how crucial was this first try to the overall result? ?#Heineken #ChampionsCup pic.twitter.com/POb6cXohVl
— Heineken Champions Cup (@ChampionsCup) April 21, 2019
– Ex-Stormers duo Cheslin Kolbe and Rynhardt Elstadt, and their countryman Maks van Dyk played for Toulouse in their 30-12 defeat against reigning champions Leinster, who will defend their European crown against Sarries.
EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
– Flank Wiaan Liebenberg and his La Rochelle teammates clinched a thrilling 24-20 win over the Sale Sharks to book their place in the final. Scrumhalf Faf de Klerk and No 8 Jono Ross were on duty for Sale. La Rochelle will face French rivals Clermont, who beat Harlequins 32-27 in their semi-final.
MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY
– The Seawolves kept up the chase for a top-of-the-table finish by beating NOLA Gold 25-24. No 8 Riekert Hattingh captained the Seawolves and scored one of their tries. JP Eloff led the Gold from fullback and kicked two conversions, while wing Tristan Blewett scored one try and set up another for the home side. Hooker Stephan Coetzee and replacement back JP Smith were also involved for the Seawolves.
– Rugby United New York remain in fourth place with a 24-22 victory over the Utah Warriors. Franco van den Berg was at loosehead prop for the Warriors.
– The San Diego Legion claimed a comfortable 46-15 win against the Glendale Raptors. San Diego captain Joe Pietersen kicked two penalties and four conversions, while hooker Dean Muir also started for the Legion. Centre Robbie Petzer and replacement Carlo de Nysschen were in action for the Raptors, who are in fifth place on the log.