EP Kings president Cheeky Watson has refuted reports suggesting coach Carlos Spencer parted ways with the union as the result of 'unpaid wages'.
In a statement issued by EP on Thursday, Watson said they had been disappointed by comments made by Spencer's attorney, David Jones, alleging that the former All Black was owed money.
'The initial problems we had with Carlos’s salary was due to his insistence of having his funds paid into an offshore account.'
Watson said this resulted in delays that arose out of the administrative compliance and paperwork issues.
'While we have experienced a cash delay for July’s salaries, due to a delay in the sponsorship administrative process, we have been working tirelessly to address this issue and have communicated this to all our staff and players, who have been very patient and supportive.'
Watson also lashed out at Spencer over reported allegations intimating that the 39-year-old had been pushed out of a head coaching role.
‘Carlos was originally appointed as our backline skills coach, and on his request he was promoted to head coach for our debut Currie Cup season, where the Kings suffered nine successive losses in a 10-match season,'
Watson also alleged that Spencer had distanced himself from the team when Mzwandile Stick was appointed head coach for the Vodacom Cup, while also failing to attend any coaching meetings or training sessions after the appointment of Brent Janse van Rensburg as the new head coach.
‘It is really sad that Carlos has made these statements as we had hoped to part on amicable terms. Despite the disappointing results, we had a lot of respect for Carlos and for his accomplishments.'
Watson also said rumours around Spencer’s departure being linked to the Kings not being prepared for their return to Vodacom Super Rugby were laughable.
Photo: Richard Huggard/Gallo Images