Victory against Argentina in Port Elizabeth on Saturday will see the Springboks match a record unbeaten run in the Rugby Championship.
Opta stats and facts:
– The Springboks have won 87% of the Tests against Argentina (27/31) – their second-best win percentage against any country they have faced at least 10 times (93% v Italy).
– South Africa have lost only one of their last 30 Tests in Port Elizabeth (W26, D3), a 26-9 defeat to the British & Irish Lions in July 1974; the Boks are undefeated in their 16 Tests in the city since then (W15, D1).
– Argentina will be looking to avoid back-to-back Test defeats for the first time since September 2019, following a 32-12 loss to South Africa last time out.
– South Africa are undefeated in their last four Tests in the Rugby Championship (W3, D1) – the last time the Boks logged a longer unbeaten run in the competition was a five-match win streak across the 2008 and 2009 Tri-Nations campaigns.
– Argentina have won only one of their last 10 Tests in the Rugby Championship (D2, L7), including the 2020 Tri-Nations; it came in the form of a 25-15 victory over New Zealand in November 2020.
– South Africa have made fewer than five clean breaks in each of their last three Tests, after doing so only once in their 16 matches prior.
– Argentina collectively beat 22 defenders in Round 1 of the Rugby Championship 2021, the most by any team and three more than South Africa (19).
– Lock Lood de Jager won the joint-most lineouts (including steals) of any player in Round 1 (6 – also Sam Whitelock) and double the tally of any Argentina player.
– Pumas hooker Julian Montoya made the most tackles (13/13) of any player without missing a single attempt in Round 1.
– Wing Aphelele Fassi has scored a try in each of his first two Tests for the Springboks, as well as providing one try assist in that time.
Photo: Gallo Images