WP Rugby has denied reports suggesting that a number of its players would be sold after the Currie Cup for financial reasons.
WP Rugby CEO Paul Zacks met with the players on Monday morning to reassure them of their futures with the union.
‘It is regrettable that the public has been presented with a factually incorrect and grossly misleading view of our confidential internal dealings with our senior player group,’ Zacks said.
‘We back our contracted players wholeheartedly and all of those players who have contracts with WP Rugby for 2018 and beyond will all be honoured.
‘However, we want to at all times ensure that we are looking after our players’ best interests, which for some of them, especially those coming off long-term injuries, means that they may benefit from a loan spell with another franchise in order to get much-needed game time and/or exposure to different international competitions.
‘Our goal is to ensure a win-win for all parties, facilitating more game time for more players while simultaneously benefiting SA Rugby as a whole.
‘Any decisions we make about player movements will always consider both the interests of the individual player as well as the union with players remaining contracted to WP Rugby,’ Zacks added.
Western Province will embark on a two-match tour to France, where they will face Narbonne and Montpellier, before beginning their title defence under the leadership of lock Chris van Zyl, who also reaffirmed his commitment to the team on social media.
— Chris van Zyl (@Chris_van_Zyl) August 6, 2018
‘Our players and management team under Chris van Zyl and John Dobson respectively showed what they were capable of in winning a Currie Cup final away from home last year and as a union, we have every confidence in their abilities. We believe that we have an exceptional player base that is capable of delivering more success during this year’s Currie Cup campaign,’ Zacks said.
Photo: Steve Haag/Gallo Images